Erroneous AdRotate Geotargeting Lookups message

Home Forums AdRotate for WordPress Bug Reports Erroneous AdRotate Geotargeting Lookups message

Robert Walker
    Badges:

I have a paid ipstack geotargeting account that appears to be working properly as I can see in the ipstack dashboard that I am using up lookups. However, I have a persistent message that is in my WP admin 100% of the time that says “You are running out of Geo Targeting Lookups. You have less than 20 remaining lookups.” I know this can’t be true as I can see in ipstack that I have plenty of lookups remaining. What would be causing this message to constantly display?

Thanks!

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

AdRotate Pro doesn’t count the lookups if you’re using ipstack, it uses the number ipstack reports to AdRotate.
    You can see this in Settings > Geo Targeting.
    If the number gets too low the warning will show up.

Re-saving the Geo settings a few times should poke the server for a new lookup quota.
    You’ll see if it works if the number (closely) matches the one you see in you ipstack account.

Robert Walker
    Badges:

Thanks for the reply Arnan. I tried re-saving as well as disabling and saving, then saving with ipstack as the provider again, but I am still getting the notice. It actually says “no lookups left” now, though I see in ipstack that I am using only 72% of my lookups for the month. I also tried the AdRotate Tools plugin you’ve shared with me in the past and followed the steps to poke the Geotargeting server. On the AdRotate Tools Geotargeting tab I see that I have responses from both AdRotate Geo and ipstack even though ipstack is my selected service. Could that have something to do with the message I’m seeing?

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

Hmm 🤨

If you have AdRotate Tools, can you post the response from ipstack here?
    If you look at it, it should say the quota right there as a number. AdRotate uses that number.

Does it match the number you see in your ipstack account?

Robert Walker
    Badges:

Here is the response with some private info redacted, I don’t see an entry for lookups remaining here though:

Code: 200
    [ip] => REDACTED
    [type] => ipv4
    [continent_code] => NA
    [continent_name] => North America
    [country_code] => US
    [country_name] => United States
    [region_code] => REDACTED
    [region_name] => REDACTED
    [city] => REDACTED
    [zip] => REDACTED
    [latitude] => REDACTED
    [longitude] => REDACTED
    [location] => Array ( [geoname_id] => 4223379 [capital] => Washington D.C. [languages] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [code] => en [name] => English [native] => English ) ) [country_flag] => http://assets.ipstack.com/flags/us.svg [country_flag_emoji] => 🇺🇸 [country_flag_emoji_unicode] => U+1F1FA U+1F1F8 [calling_code] => 1 [is_eu] => )
    [time_zone] => Array ( [id] => America/New_York [current_time] => 2020-10-28T14:08:19-04:00 [gmt_offset] => -14400 [code] => EDT [is_daylight_saving] => 1 )
    [currency] => Array ( [code] => USD [name] => US Dollar [plural] => US dollars [symbol] => $ [symbol_native] => $ )
    [connection] => Array ( [asn] => 7018 [isp] => REDACTED )

Robert Walker
    Badges:

I also am showing a response in AdRotate Tools for AdRotate Geo:

License Key: REDACTED
    Code: 200
    [ip] => REDACTED
    [city] => REDACTED
    [dma] => 524
    [state] => REDACTED
    [statecode] => REDACTED
    [country] => United States
    [countrycode] => US
    [lookups_used] => 7

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

Hmm I think I see what’s going wrong. And I was wrong in my earlier message about the lookup reporting.
    ipstack doesn’t report the lookups to AdRotate, as you can see in the response you posted.
    AdRotate Geo and MaxMind do.

I wrongly assumed ipstack did, too… 🙄 whoops!

This means that AdRotate will show the error in the dashboard while it shouldn’t.
    This is a cosmetic thing, no actual geo targeting is influenced by it as far as I can tell.

I’ll fix the error in the next version.

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

This has been fixed in version 5.8.7.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Erroneous AdRotate Geotargeting Lookups message’ is closed to new replies.

You may be interested in