How do I load a mobile ad and banner ad in the same spot?

Trouble updating AdRotate Professional to the latest version?

If your license is not expired and you are having trouble with updates for AdRotate Professional I want to hear from you!
Known issues; The update will not install or no update is visible in your dashboard.
Affected versions; Most versions of AdRotate Professional since December 2019.

Click here for the solution - AdRotate Pro update not working or not offered.

Home Forums AdRotate for WordPress Adverts and Banners How do I load a mobile ad and banner ad in the same spot?

Meryl Moss
    Badges:

I created a Group and set two ads in the group – one for mobile and one for desktop. I placed the shortcode in the page and it displayed the desktop banner, but did not display the mobile box ad. I did set the group to support mobile ads. I did set the ads distinctly, desktop for banner and mobile sections for box. Is this correct?

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

Hi Meryl,
    If you’ve used the group shortcode to show the group/ads. Then yes, that sounds good.

Make sure you’re not looking at a cached page on Mobile.
    Some mobile browser caches are a bit headstrong and fail to see updated content.
    In other cases there may be a caching plugin hindering things.

AdRotate has support for Borlabs Cache and W3 Total Cache.
    Check out this manual to see how to set up the plugins for that to work; https://ajdg.solutions/support/adrotate-manuals/caching-support/
    Personally I prefer Borlabs cache as it’s much easier to set up.

Meryl Moss
    Badges:

Okay, I’m working on a staging server at WP Engine, so there shouldn’t be any caching. But if there is, I’ll clear the cache and see if that works.

When we go live, we have Cloudflare and WP Engine’s cache turned off. I also am using Autoptimize, which has some sort of caching, but don’t believe that affects things like images.

I’ll try it again on mobile/desktop and see if I can make it work, thanks!

Meryl Moss
    Badges:

Okay, so I reset it all up I believed correctly, but I’m getting a configuration error and I can’t figure out why.

See the screen record: https://share.getcloudapp.com/YEuy9GEA

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

If you look at the top of the edit screen you’ll see what’s wrong with the advert.
    One or more notifications will show and try to tell you what’s going on.

Meryl Moss
    Badges:

Got it, thanks. Can’t believe I didn’t see that. Duh!

Okay, I think I’m all set. But one more question – if the banner is only for desktop, do I still have to click iOS and Android too in the operating systems, or just the last option for nonmobile?

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

There are laptops that use Android, but those are so rare that the OS selection doesn’t really have an effect if you’ve already selected the device type.

So you could skip it.

Meryl Moss
    Badges:

Okay, thanks so much.

Meryl Moss
    Badges:

Okay, one more question.

On this page, https://booktribdev.wpengine.com/book-club-network/, sometimes the 2048 banner disappears on desktop and displays the 300 x 250 ad. I clear my WP Engine cache and it restores the 2048 wide banner. Any ideas why this might be happening, even though I have the mobile ad only set for mobile and no other devices – just ios and android and smartphones.

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

That’ll be the cache.
    If someone on mobile visits the page and it gets cached, the next few people see that cached page. Regardless of their device.

Caching is not very flexible and generally is more a hinderance than anything useful.
    If you can install your own cache you can control better what it does.

AdRotate has support for Borlabs Cache and W3 Total Cache.
    Check out this manual to see how to set up the plugins for that to work; https://ajdg.solutions/support/adrotate-manuals/caching-support/
    Personally I prefer Borlabs cache as it’s much easier to set up.

Meryl Moss
    Badges:

Unfortunately, WP Engine does not allow 3rd party caching plugins on its network.

https://wpengine.com/support/disallowed-plugins/#Caching_Plugins

I suspect they would disallow Borlabs Cache too, even though it’s not on the list.

I can turn off Object Caching at WP Engine in favor of Cloudflare, once I make the switch from dev to live and see if that works with it, but I’ll let the client know about it.

P.S. I’m Tony, the web admin working with Meryl on her Ad Rotate stuff.

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

Time to get better hosting then 😉 Something where you have control over things like caching other than on/off/refresh.

Cloudflare is not a cache but a CDN, but that’ll work fine alongside AdRotate, I know that many users use both.

You’d have to wonder if you need caching at all or if your hosting is just too slow.
    For example, this site is pretty fast. I don’t use any caching.
    I did a lot of optimizations though and use a code minifier.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may be interested in