Post Injection above and below ads shows duplicates

Trouble updating AdRotate Professional to the latest version?

If your license is not expired and you are having trouble with updates for AdRotate Professional I want to hear from you!
Known issues; The update will not install or no update is visible in your dashboard.
Affected versions; Most versions of AdRotate Professional since December 2019.

Click here for the solution - AdRotate Pro update not working or not offered.

Home Forums AdRotate for WordPress Groups Post Injection above and below ads shows duplicates

tgl
    Badges:

Originally I had a problem where I had one group set to inject above content and one group set to inject below. I followed a recommendation to merge all the ads to a single group that injects to above & below from this post:

https://ajdg.solutions/forums/topic/ads-in-2-groups-but-only-1-group-shows-ads/

Now I get a duplicate ad above and below. I have the checkbox selected to prevent duplicate ads.

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

Make sure Sessions work on your site.
    If they don’t, you can usually fix that with a session plugin – As described in the duplicate setting description.

tgl
    Badges:

The site is hosted on Liquid Web managed WP hosting, they don’t block $_SESSION.

I tested the session plugin just to verify and confirmed in the PHP log:

[10-Jul-2020 18:08:45 UTC] PHP Warning: session_set_save_handler(): Cannot change save handler when headers already sent in /home/s1/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-session-manager/vendor/ericmann/sessionz/php/Manager.php on line 133

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

Errors do not mean a session is set up or working. This error specifically may just mean that there is output before the session handler.

But let’s assume sessions work and are active/in use.
    You can look at the session by browsing a few pages with ads from a group on it. Then check the session and you should see a few properties in there with AdRotate in the name. They should list the ad IDs that are already shown on the page.

The filter works like so; load all possible ads for the group. Every time an ad is placed, put the id in a list for that page. If it’s in the list, don’t pick it again.
    Sessions usually are destroyed when the tab is closed or expire after some time.

The session data can usually be seen in your browsers inspector in the “Storage” tab somewhere.

tgl
    Badges:

Do you have a list of hosts that are verified to work with sessions?

tgl
    Badges:

If you can direct me towards some hosts that you know work with sessions I can continue troubleshooting this issue.

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

Of-course I don’t have such a list. Most hosts have sessions enabled though.
    For my testing I use InMotion -> https://ajdg.solutions/go/imh-shared

tgl
    Badges:

Well let’s be more specific:

Liquid Web informed me sessions are not blocked.

I have checked “Enable this option to prevent adverts in groups that are in Default or Block mode from showing multiple times on the same pageload.”

I have tested with and without the session manager plugin you recommended.

Ads are only in a single group that is set to inject above and below the content.

Ads are still showing in duplicate above and below.

What’s the next useful troubleshooting step so I can get this resolved?

Arnan de Gans
    Badges:

If the Session is not populated there is not much else to do or check.
    Something seems to be hindering things.

I have a tool for AdRotate that let’s you see what’s in the session, but if you have a session manager you can probably see whats in $_SESSION already… So I’m not sure if that would help.

I’ve tried to place a bunch of groups on a test site and no duplicates show up there.
    Does it work if you not use Post Injection? For example if you stick a group widget and a group shortcode on a page with the same 2-3 adverts? Or a couple of widgets.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may be interested in