A few days ago, I got an error that caused my WordPress dashboard to be inaccessible. It was saying “There has been a critical error on your website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.”
I tried updating plugins and WordPress and deactivating AdRotate Pro, and it didn’t work. After a while, it worked.
Today, I got the same email notification that there was a critical error. Copy/pasting the text below, hope I can get some help to fix this, or get it fixed in the next update. Thanks!
WordPress version 5.3.2
Current plugin: AdRotate Professional (version 5.7)
PHP version 7.3.13-1+ubuntu18.04.1+deb.sury.org+1
An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 100 of the file /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-content/plugins/adrotate-pro/library/update-api.php. Error message: Uncaught Error: Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-content/plugins/adrotate-pro/library/update-api.php:100
#0 /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(290): adrotate_update_check(Object(stdClass))
#1 /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-includes/plugin.php(206): WP_Hook->apply_filters(Object(stdClass), Array)
#2 /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-includes/option.php(1800): apply_filters(‘site_transient_…’, Object(stdClass), ‘update_plugins’)
#3 /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-includes/update.php(754): get_site_transient(‘update_plugins’)
#4 /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(288): _maybe_update_plugins(”)
#5 /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(312): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
#6 /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-includes/plugin.php(478): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#7 /nas/content/live/bridebreakfast/wp-admin/admin.php(170): do_action(‘admin_init’)
The error is from the update check (so it can happen at most twice a day) and is likely related to the communication between our servers.
My server is getting hammered with 70+ million requests per month (not unlike a DDoS attack) – I’m actively working on fixing that.
Something changed in WordPress that causes update checks to continuously run 100s of times per second. This has been fixed in AdRotate Pro version 5.6.4, but people don’t update… 🙄
Anyway, 70 million requests is an absurd amount which makes uptime a bit spotty from time to time. Causing a timeout, and thus the error.