AdRotate Pro, like most other plugins, will receive updates from time to time. Usually once per month or so.
If you see this page you’ve been directed here for more information on the update issue that has plagued almost every version since December 2019. On this page you’ll find update instructions and how to get your setup fixed in a timely manner.
Why updating your plugins is important
Often bug fixes are included in newer versions of plugins. Sometimes these are security related or simply fix broken features. In some updates new features may be included or old features are improved, adding more value to your AdRotate experience.
Updating is therefor not only useful, but also important.
If you do not want to install every update, then do so at-least twice a year or so.
Versions; 5.4.2, 5.5, 5.6, 5.6.1, 5.6.2, 5.6.4, 5.7, 5.7.1, 5.7.2, 5.8 and 5.8.1.
Versions 5.4 and older, and 5.7.3, should work fine.
Versions 5.8.2 and newer should work fine.
One or more of several things can go wrong;
- The update check works, but installing fails with a generic WordPress error
- The update check works, but activating fails saying there was a critical error
- The update check works and shows an update which disappears after a few hours
- The update check fails saying there was a (critical) error
- The update check shows no update
Automatic updates via the dashboard
First look for the update in your dashboard. If it’s available, you can try and update there.
The updates should be visible in your WordPress dashboard just like any other plugin. You can also check for updates manually by clicking the “Check Again” button in your dashboard as depicted below.
Many versions of AdRotate Pro released since December 2019 will check for the update, but then either not show it, or create errors when downloading or installing the update. The most common issue is that the update simply doesn’t show up.
Which is of-course f*cking annoying… 🙄
If this happens, take a look at the steps below. This will take 5-10 minutes.
Updating manually via (s)FTP
- Download the latest version of AdRotate Professional from your account.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and disable AdRotate Professional from the plugins page.
- Access your hosting account using your favorite (s)FTP client.
- Navigate to /wp-content/plugins/.
- On your computer, unzip the adrotate-pro.zipfile.
- Upload the adrotate-pro folder from your computer to the WordPress plugins folder.
- Log back in to your WordPress dashboard and navigate to the plugins dashboard page.
- Make sure the version listed is version 5.8.2 or higher and that the plugin shows up only once.
- Activate AdRotate Professional.
- When activated, you may be prompted to click a Finish Update button in a notification bar.
Not able to update the plugin yourself?
If your license is not expired and you are having trouble with updates for AdRotate Professional I want to hear from you!
Please send me an email asking for an update and include the following information:
- Your website address
- Your current version number of AdRotate Professional
- Your order number and/or license key
- A (s)FTP login so I can upload files
- An admin account to your WordPress dashboard
Important: Please make sure the login details work and that your website is in good working condition. I am NOT going to troubleshoot other issues and just do a barebones update of AdRotate Professional where required. This service is provided for free, as a courtesy. This service is not meant to address any issues other than this specific update problem.
What the hell happened?
Last year WordPress changed a few things on how update checks work and as a result I had to update AdRotate Pro to continue to work. Since then a number of quirks and bugs have come up preventing people from using automatic updates reliably. Some caused by me, others by how WordPress changed things.
Version 5.7.3 was thought to have fixed the problem.
Now AdRotate Professional 5.8.2 has the cure, for real this time. I have tested this dozens of times on several different websites. Including live sites from AdRotate Pro users.
How can I know future updates or their reliability?
I’m committed to fix this issue and will do everything in my power to help everyone affected, I guess you have to believe in that.
Even if version 5.8.2 doesn’t fully work. It is a major step towards a working update routine. That said, I’m confident version 5.8.2 works as intended.
Future versions likely will have some refinements for the process, but basic function works in version 5.8.2!