Some further improvements for Geo Targeting and general improvements. Based on some user feedback I have re-done some of the database indexes aimed at making stats faster.
- [fix] Query error when cleaning database manually
- [fix] Stats exports not working on certain versions of PHP
- [fix] Adblock nag countdown not saving
- [fix] ‘Strict standards’ error when uploading a file on some systems
- [fix] Geo Targeting better filtering for locations with capitals
- [fix] Self-repairing database function now actually works
- [tweak] Geo Lookups no longer leading in Geo Service availability
- [tweak] Geo Targeting warning emails removed
- [tweak] Load max. 20 ads for a dynamic group
- [tweak] Impression counting excluded from popular caching plugins
- [tweak] Click counting excluded from popular caching plugins
- [change] GeoBytes no longer supported for Geo Targeting
- [change] Upgrade script cleaned up
- [change] Removed unnecessary indexes from database
- [change] Removed obsolete ‘block’ columns from database
- [change] Improved INT() unsigned datatypes in MySQL
If you have version 3.12 or newer already you’ll get the update via your dashboard.
If you have an older version you may have to update manually because your version looks at an older API which is no longer online. More information here.
Over the weekend I have made some changes to the website, related to products and availability of products. Also I’m working on something new and exciting.
AdRotate Geo has been online for a little while now. Nobody appeared interested to buy extra lookups. Some found the 14400 lookups per day not enough. So I fixed both.
I have updated the API to accept 50000 lookups per day for free now. And next to that, the paid options have been removed. There really was no point in keeping them around if nobody was using it.
So the gist; More lookups, effective since yesterday. No action is required on your part. Less premium options. But nobody bought it anyway.
As you may know I maintain a bunch of WooCommerce modules. I’ve gone over what they actually do and how useful they are. Some were not useful, reflected by the number of sales. Specific little plugins have little demand obviously. So zero sales in a year means to me I don’t need to sell it either. Therefor I have removed the fluff and kept the useful ones.
Also I have updated the page a bit to show a download counter on each plugin and WooCommerce Price Equality got updated a few days ago. Good stuff 🙂
AdRotate Pro & AdRotate Free
AdRotate Pro are due for an update, too. I am finalising a bunch of things for that. Based on some feedback I have revised the indexes of the stats database which should see a bit of a speed bump on larger setups. For GeoTargeting in AdRotate Pro a bunch of things have been tweaked and improved. Also GeoBytes kinda broke their stuff so I decided to remove support for their “API”.
Updates are likely ready for release later this week.
Currently I’m working on a simple to use SEO solution which focuses on what you look like in search results. SEO is always important to drive traffic to your site and a lot of plugins simply aren’t up to snuff. Others are complicated or are otherwise unwieldy. I think I can make a difference. SEO generally is made out to be much more complicated than it actually is. I’m going to change that. That’s exciting right? I think it is.
Updated: December 26, 2018
I’ve pieced together what I think is the ultimate development setup. This tutorial is particularly useful if you’re working in different places and have to rely on public wifi or if you don’t have high speed internet available.
As you may have read I’ve moved to the Philippines. This means I no longer have a home address for a while. This also means that high speed internet becomes a luxury. To not being hindered in developing things like AdRotate and other plugins I needed a fast and reliable alternative for my online development server. So that even if internet is wonky, I can still do some work.Read more »
A small maintenance update with a small optimisation for dynamic groups – Bringing a small speed bump and less clutter when loading ads. Translation files updated and removed the now obsolete AdRotate Server code.
- [tweak] Load max. 10 ads for a dynamic group
- [change] Removed obsolete AdRotate Server code
- [i18n] New and obsolete strings in translation files
It took a while to figure out but with some help from Austria we managed to get the cities/state filter working a bit more accurately.
In some configurations the states were not filtered out correctly. For others it didn’t always work for cities. This happened because of a function treating the array to check differently than it should. This has now been improved.
On top of that, services not reporting a Geo Lookup quota are now excluded from the quota notifications.
- [fix] No longer apply geo lookup quota for services that don’t report a quota
- [tweak] Better filter logic for geo cities/states
Updates are available through your dashboard if you use version 3.12 or newer.
You can download updates manually from your account on this website if you do not yet have version 3.12.
If your license starts with 101 (all licenses bought trough www.adrotateplugin.com) you may need to register a new account on this website (top right corner) and link your license to that account from your profile.
Note: The title should of-course be ‘AdRotate Pro 3.12.2’.
After an otherwise well received update here are some refinements to make it even better.
You’ve probably noticed some Geo Targeting alerts 🙁 … Yea, fixed.
Some other tweaks/fixes are included as well.
- [fix] Metro/DMA Codes not properly stored for some Geo Services
- [fix] Geo Targeting Quota messages being sent unnecessarily
- [fix] Cookie expiry setting now shows the right value
AdRotate Geo is the exclusive Geo lookup service for AdRotate Pro users. The pre-paid lookups are now available for purchase. I’ve decided to make this crazy cheap so it’s in reach for everyone.
Originally the prices were going to be €20, €80 and €160 euros for 100.000, 500.000 and 1.000.000 lookups respectively. The price is now set at €10, €50 and €100 euros.
Check out the page here; AdRotate Geo product page.
Do you need Geo Targeting
If you have your ads targeted at specific areas, sure. It’s most useful where you can run localised campaigns. Your advertiser may require it for their campaign. After-all, if you have a restaurant in New York, it makes no sense to advertise in Japan or even Philadelphia… So make the most of your advertising campaigns and use geo targeting.
AdRotate Pro supports several lookup services such as MaxMind’s GeoIP2 and the GeoBytes IpLocator.
Both services are very affordable but still not everyone can afford it. Some simply forget to include it in the advertiser pricing, others simply have cheap adspace. Regardless of that, AdRotate Geo plays right into the market of medium sized sites that need affordable geo lookups.
How does AdRotate Geo compare to other services? AdRotate Geo uses Maxmind’s GeoLite2 database. This is fairly accurate and most countries can be detected without a problem. Cities are not always listed but most developed areas are supported just fine. Maxmind themselves rate the database as 90% accurate.
Try for free
AdRotate Geo’s basic subscription is free. It’s built right into your dashboard starting with AdRotate Pro 3.12 (released earlier this week) and all you have to do is activate it. If you don’t pay for extra lookups you get 14400 lookups for free, every day. For most small sites that will be plenty. For larger sites, well – Buy more 🙂 You know you can afford it.
Or actually since last week. When I was unceremoniously awarded my final trademark for ‘ADROTATE’ in the United States.
Filed last year for Europe and the United States.
Behold! I think the Europe certificate looks like a toy certificate 🙁
For more information check out the trademark page on my website.
At long last. Updated Geo Targeting!
Due to ongoing problems with FreegeoIP that service is no longer support and has been replaced with AdRotate Geo and Telize. Both of which can be used for free.
The geo targeting code has been overhauled to work more reliable using cookies and session data. And most geo services now also show states and metro codes for cities.
- [new] BETA AdRotate Geo Service
- [new] Bot filter now also applied to Geo Data
- [new] Cookie lifespan configurable from 24 to 168 hours
- [new] $_SESSION used for initial Geo data
- [new] Geo Data now includes City Metro ID’s
- [new] Geo status in email notifications
- [new] Geo status sent in push notifications
- [new] AdRotate compatibility with new License API on ajdg.solutions
- [fix] More accurate filtering for mixed city/state adverts
- [fix] Impressions per day for schedules not accurate
- [fix] Better check to see if Geo Cookie exists
- [fix] Impression counting using the right timestamp
- [fix] Warning undefined offset ‘city’ and/or ‘country’ for some adverts
- [fix] Warning undefined variable ‘$adrotate_queue’ for some users
- [tweak] Dynamic groups now hide all ads but one on pageload
- [tweak] Updated links and stuff for new ajdg.solutions website
- [tweak] 20% smaller geo cookie
- [tweak] Impression timer can be 10 again, default remains 60
- [tweak] Load/Check Geo Cookie only on front-end
- [i18n] Spanish updated
- [i18n] Russian translation added
As you may have seen, the AdRotate website has merged with my primary site ajdg.solutions. All sales, support and updates will go through this website from now on.
Over the past 2 weeks or so I’ve been building the new website for AJdG Solutions. As part of that move AdRotate has moved here too. All relevant content has been moved to the AdRotate Pro page. Most content has been rewritten – Most notably the manuals. The forum has been moved here. And what’s more, OmniCard and other plugins have a forum now too 🙂
All sales go through this website now. This includes AdRotate and all my plugins but also general invoicing for when people hire me. Each product page has the relevant products linked on there for easy access.
Because WooCommerce does not facilitate the merging of sites all purchases made via adrotateplugin.com will not be visible in your account here. Your account has not been migrated over either. You can however keep accessing your account on adrotateplugin.com to view your orders and download AdRotate Pro. The license reset is no longer supported from there though.
Any and all purchases for AdRotate Pro are made through this site now. A few have already done this. Let me know if you run into any trouble at all with your license or account.