In February of this year I wrote a blog post about the sad state the Update and AdRotate Geo API were in, causing problems for many AdRotate users. Have things improved since then?
The plugins WooCommerce Paypal Surcharge, WooCommerce Stripe Surcharge, WooCommerce Single Page Checkout, WooCommerce Show Review, WooCommerce Delete Orders and WooCommerce Payment Gateway Stats have all been checked to work with WooCommerce 4.3.1 and WordPress 5.5 and updated where necessary.
The plugins WooCommerce Paypal Surcharge, WooCommerce Stripe Surcharge, WooCommerce Single Page Checkout, WooCommerce Show Review, WooCommerce Delete Orders and WooCommerce Payment Gateway Stats have all been updated for WooCommerce 4.0 and tested on WordPress 5.4.
Over the last few months updating AdRotate Professional has not been as easy as it should be.
A ton of things have been going wrong with the update routine for many users. While for others it worked without a hitch. I’m one of those people where it usually works. So it’s a bit hard to find the problem. But here goes.
I took some more drastic measures to actually improve things and not just patch stuff up.
3 Major issues have come to light and have been fixed or will be fixed over the next few weeks.
A quick and small update fixing 2 bugs. One affects the update trigger (sigh, yes, again) but in a different way this time. Activating some other plugins may trigger a failed state because AdRotate Pro doesn’t do a check properly.
This has been fixed.
This update again focuses on streamlining the AdRotate Professional experience and improves a number of things in the dashboard. But more importantly it fixes the date pickers end dates and localization. We’re reversing to the old system that uses dd-mm-yyyy instead of named months. Another important change is the update routine going forward. More below.
This update focuses on streamlining the license and geo targeting experience and includes a number of bugfixes and tweaks related to those 2 functions. License notifications should now work more clear and reliable.
Geo Targeting has recently moved from using Cookies to Sessions. A number of fixes makes that more reliable and robust.
This started as a quick patch for deleting Adverts, but once I got going and dove into the code a bit deeper to fix the renaming mistake I made in an earlier update I found a bunch more quirks. AdRotate Geo was acting up again and generally what was going to be a small patch turned into a full update with many tweaks and improvements.
Over the past few weeks I’ve been working on new mechanics to better manage AdRotate Geo. As an immediate response I shut down AdRotate Geo API versions 3 and 4 and introduced version 5 a few days later with better detection mechanisms to block/ban abusers.
This worked fine for a while until the DDoS nonsense started again, those requests are not attached to a license and thus I can’t use the mechanic to block them as well – Since the system didn’t look at the IP address or origin other than the license key.
Over the last week I’ve been hard at work to finally resolve the issues with performance and up-time that plagued the AJdG Solutions website since mid December last year. MediaTemple kept denying any issues and couldn’t stop pointing fingers are everyone but themselves.
Very unprofessional for the stupendous amount of money I paid them monthly. But alas, their support was, as usual, completely inept. Too bad! So after a few days of frustratingly dealing with tickets and people pretty much ignoring me, I gave up and moved to a new hosting provider. So far that seems better and more stable.
I’m still ironing out some minor kinks, but so far so good.
Users of my AdRotate Pro plugin will know I offer various API for updates, AdRotate Geo and some other stuff.
Due to ongoing abuse of the older AdRotate Geo API, versions 1 and 2 will be obsolete effective immediately.
These API versions will soon be shut down and no longer return Geo Targeting information. If you’re still using AdRotate Versions 3.18.2 or older and you’re using AdRotate Geo, your geo targeting will no longer work in a few days.
Updating to the current version of AdRotate Pro will fix this and is the only solution. I’m not going to develop work-arounds or silly hacks. No need to ask… Just update the plugin!
You are urgently advised to upgrade to AdRotate Pro 4 or newer. Version 4.11 has been released earlier today and is available for free for everyone who bought a license!